Containing Mold Spores During Remediation
This containment shows proper negative air pressure which prevents air and particles (spores) from passing through.
Part of being licensed in mold remediation requires that we are able to prevent the spread of mold spores to unaffected areas while the remediation is in progress. Regardless if it is a commercial or residential job we set up containment and use a negative air machine to prevent the spores from escaping the work area. By drawing a negative pressure in the work area, using the proper containment supplies and practices we are effectively able to prevent mold spores from escaping the area of concern.
If you experience a mold problem in you home or business call SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels and let licensed professionals keep you, your family and your friends safe from the possible negative health effects of mold exposure (512)396-8225 or visit our WEBSITE for more information
Fire Damage Pack Outs
Home contents being stored in our large secure warehouse after being cleaned and deodorized. Soon to be returned to the owner.
SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels offers pack out services for fire damages. If the damage to your home or business is rather extensive we usually recommend a pack out. This allows us to remove all the contents from the building by safely packing them in boxes using wrapping paper and bubble wrap for protection. This frees up the working space and helps prevent any further damage to your possessions. Typically we will bring the contents back to our large secure warehouse where the contents can be cleaned, deodorized in our ozone chamber and repackaged in clean boxes and packing material to await return after the fire restoration/rebuild is complete.
If you experience a fire damage in your home or business call the professionals at SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels at (512)396-8225 or visit our website for more info.
Preparing for Winter Storms
Don't Let Winter Storms Ruin Your Day
Severe winter weather can occasionally cause havoc in many parts of Central Texas. Unlike our friends to the north we usually experience mild winters with temperatures rarely dipping low enough to cause major problems. This is both a blessing and a curse. On the bright side most of us are able to enjoy moderate temperatures for the majority of winter, the down side of this is when strong winter storms hit we are by no means prepared for them. Aside from our bodies being used to warmer weather most of our homes, vehicles and emergency personnel are also equipped for warmer temperatures. Let’s take a few minutes to talk about preparing for winter weather, and what do to in the event of a strong winter storm.
Items You May Need
- Extra Batteries- Be sure to have backup batteries for all essential devices.
- A Reliable Telephone- Preferably one that can still function if the power goes out. Cordless phones will not work if power goes out, cell phones may or may not work, and the best bet is an old style phone which has the cord connecting the handset to the phone base. In the event you lose power the phone lines may still be intact and these style phones will continue to work.
- Battery-powered NOAA and/or AM/FM Radio. In the event of power failure these battery powered radios may be your only way to access information on the weather and emergency broadcasts.
- Water- Be sure to have enough water to last at least 3 days. Recommended amounts are 1 gallon per person per day. In emergency situations don’t forget your water heater will typically remain full of water, this water can be used in survival situations.
- Food- Be sure to have enough food on hand. The best are high energy nonperishable foods that don’t need to be cooked or refrigerated such as nuts, dried fruits, cereal, and granola.
- Money- Remember in a severe storm you may lose power, be sure to have some extra cash stored because without power you cannot use your card at the store or ATM, also stores may not accept checks as they regularly require electronic processing through the stores point of sale system.
- Medication, First-Aid and Baby Supplies- Being it could be days before you can drive be sure you have the needed medical supplies.
- Emergency Heat- Unlike in the north, many Texans do not use a fueled furnace so if you lose power, you lose your main source of heat. Keep a stock of dried wood if you have a fire place or wood stove. Kerosene heaters are also a good alternative. Just be sure you know how to safely operate your emergency heaters.
- Emergency Gas Powered Generators- Another option is using a gas powered generator to run your necessary appliances in the event of power outage during a winter storm. Just be sure to keep up with the maintenance and have plenty of fuel so when the time comes you need to use it, the generator functions properly. Also know the load it is capable of handling. Some may only be able to run your heater and fridge while some are capable of powering an entire home.
Winterizing Your Vehicle
It’s a good idea to check your battery, ignition system, thermostat, lights, flashers, exhaust, heater, brakes, defroster, tires, antifreeze, windshield washer fluid, and oil regularly to keep you from becoming stranded and ensure safety. It’s also a good idea to add these items to your vehicle if expecting a winter storm.
- Blankets or Sleeping bag
- Flashlight and Extra Batteries
- First Aid Kit
- Extra Dry Cloths
- Windshield Scraper
- Tow Rope
- Booster Cables
In our next blog we will discuss steps for winterizing your San Marcos / New Braunfels area home to prevent water damage and save energy this winter. In the event you do experience a water damage in your home call us today because the longer your home stays wet the more extensive the damage can become. Call SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels (512)396-8225
The Right Tools for Any Size Water Damage in New Braunfels or San Marcos
SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels has not only the right tools but also the needed knowledge of numerous professionals certified by The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). These certifications teach the highest of standards in cleaning and restoration processes, and also give instruction on how to best use our state of the art detection and drying equipment.
Water Restoration is a Science
Sure anyone can set up some fans and maybe even borrow a dehumidifier from a friend and have their water damage dried in a week or two. Unfortunately most people who try this don’t know that mold can start growing in as little as 24 hours if not treated properly and can begin to colonize in as little 1-12 days after initial growth causing much more extensive damage. Here at SERVPRO we take pride in our ability to quickly and efficiently dry any structure. We are part of a system of over 1700 independently owned and operated franchises that work together, this means there is no job too big or too small. Whether it’s a small leak under your kitchen sink, a flood event or even a multi-story industrial building with a large affected area.
Commercial Grade Water Removal Equipment
- Water (Sump) Pumps- Used for removing large amounts of standing water
- Truck Mounted and Portable Extractors- Used for removing smaller amounts water from floors mainly carpet but very useful on hard floors as well when pooling is present.
- Dehumidifiers- Used to lower Relative Humidity in a structure and promote evaporation from porous materials such as wood and drywall.
- Air Movers/Fans- Increase the velocity of air moving over surfaces of saturated areas speeding the rate of evaporation.
- Cavity Drying Equipment- directs airflow into hard to dry wall cavities to promote drying in hard to reach areas.
- Floor Drying Equipment- Specialized mats and air pumps witch greatly increase the chance to save wet but not ruined floors.
The above list is a representation of most commonly used equipment for informative purposes and is not all inclusive of every item needed to perform a water restoration. There is a lot more that goes into each project such as tools for demolition and sanitation. If you experience a water damage leave it to the professionals at SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels and allow yourself peace of mind that you are in good hands.
For more information call us today at (512)396-8225 or visit our WEBSITE.
What You Need to Know About Biohazard and Sewage Contamination Cleanup
Here at SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels we are always ready to respond at a moments notice when you need us and come prepared with the proper training, supplies and cutting edge equipment to get the job done right the first time.
Biohazard Cleanup Services include:
- Sewage backups
- Crime scene residues
- Suicide/death accidents
- Homicide cleanups
- Blood cleanup
- Accident cleanup
- Hoarding scenes
- Animal waste/remains
- Chemical spills
- Tear gas cleanup
- Meth lab cleanup
If you have a need that is not listed above call us at (512)396-8225 and was can have a representative investigate your issue to determine if we can help.
Do's and Don'ts With the Presence of Biohazardous material:
- Avoid the contaminated area if possible.
- Assume all bodily fluids are contaminated.
- If the situation is life threatening call emergency personnel.
- If possible turn off appliances such as HVAC.
- Wear protective equipment if working in the structure
- Call professionals.
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
- Don't try to clean up yourself.
- Don't remove contents from the affected area to non contaminated areas.
If you discover the presence of a biohazardous contaminate in you home of place of work call the professionals at SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels at (512)396-8225
Driving Safely in Heavy Rain or Flood Conditions
Cars stranded on I-35 during flood event in San Marcos TX.
Rain is Coming.
With heavy rain in the forecast for New Braunfels, San Marcos and the surrounding areas we here at SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels want to help keep you safe. Heavy rain can have more effect on your ability to drive safe than you realize. You will typically experience reduced traction, less visibility, and difficulty handling your vehicle at normal or high speeds. On top of that in Central Texas we all know how fast heavy rain can cause flood conditions. In flood conditions extra caution is required as it only takes 12 inches of fast moving water to wash some smaller vehicles off the road and studies show about half of flood drownings are due to people driving their cars into high water.
A Few Pointers to Help Drive Safe in Inclimate Weather:
- Turn your lights on, this can help you see and will greatly help others see you.
- Slow down. Not only does it take longer to stop, the faster you are moving the greater your risk of hydroplaning.
- leave more space between yourself and cars in front of you. In wet conditions your vehicle may require 2-3 times as far to stop.
- Be sure you are up on maintenance. Improperly inflated tires not only reduce traction it causes abnormal wear which can lead to a blowout. In bad weather a blowout can be a real nightmare.
- Check your wipers before leaving the house. Make sure they function properly and are in good condition to effectively remove water from your windshield.
Along with the hazards of driving in bad weather comes the threat to your home and property. If you experience storm or flood damage call us today at (512)396-8225 we have certified experts that can arrive immediately to help prevent more damage and start the restoration process right away.
Finding Signs of Mold While Digging Deep into Closets for Your Holiday Decorations
Have you ever been digging out your holiday decorations and discovered a stale musty smell? Maybe you have even seen discoloration on walls, ceiling or floors? These can be signs of mold and in most cases should be investigated. Many people have the misconception that mold and mildew are different when in fact mildew is mold. There are over 10,000 species of mold and regardless of how hard you try to keep it out, truth is mold spores are everywhere. At normal levels mold spores are just an every day occurrence but if the spores inside your home find a dark damp place with a bit of organic material they can quickly flourish into a large colony negatively affecting the air quality in your home.
If you think you may have a mold issue in your New Braunfels area home call SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels at (512)396-8225. We have Certified mold personnel waiting to help you.
Why Choose a Company With IICRC Certified Technicians to Restore Your Home After a Water Damage?
Damage Caused by Water is Usually Worse Than the Homeowner Thinks.
When water intrusion occurs it is very important to react fast. That is why here at SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels we have a crew on stand by 24/7. Water in a home can spread very fast if not addressed immediately. This is especially true in multi story buildings and those with slabs. As gravity takes effect, the water will naturally want to move down which leads it from the attic/upstairs to the lower levels of the home or business. Unfortunately the water cannot easily just run through a slab and drain outside the structure, it will begin to pool and move outward increasing the affected area as time goes by. Whenever this spreading water comes in contact with a pours material such as wood, carpet or drywall, the material causes a capillary action we call wicking where the water will be absorbed into the material, even allowing it to move up wally, once again increasing the area damaged as time passes. As if having a wet home or office is not bad enough the results of not taking action as soon as possible can be even worse, especially if the water is from an unclean source. Dirty water is filled with many hazardous substances ranging from chemicals to animal feces, parasites, bacteria and fungi. Bacteria, viruses and fungi grow aggressively in contaminated liquids, and severe health risks, like salmonella and hepatitis, are common in flood waters and sewage. When you combine contaminated water with a home built of mostly organic material you now have an optimum environment to promote the growth of countless hazardous organisms.
Fortunately SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels has several Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) certified technicians who are specially trained to address the full extent of a water damage in your home or business.
When You Choose to Use Certified Personnel.
When choosing certified personnel you can rest assured you are in good hands. Here at SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels our technicians are trained to use state of the art detection and restoration equipment. If there is water in your home we are experts at finding it and getting it out fast. We also use industry leading disinfection chemicals to be sure your home or business no longer poses a hazard to you, your family or your coworkers. We even offer the use of green chemicals.
If you experience a water damage in your home or business remember we are here to help just be sure to contact us before the damage gets out of hand. Call us today at (512) 396-8225 or check out our website, we are also on Facebook.
SERVPRO San Marcos New Braunfels Available 24/7 Even on Holidays
November is here and along with that comes cooler weather, family gatherings, and a lot of cooking. As winter and the holiday season approach remember to stay safe and be aware of fire hazards. Here at SERVPRO San Marcos New Braunfels we see first hand the disastrous effects of home structure fires and want you to be aware and prepare.
Be Aware of the Leading Cause of Home Fires.
According to a recent National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) report, there are around 400,000 house fires every year in the United States. Below are the top 7 causes of home structure fires.
- Cooking Fires, responsible for 42%
- Christmas Tree Fires
- Children Playing With Fire
Prepare, Because No One Expects it to Happen to Them.
First, make sure your home fire extinguisher is not expired, is easily accessible and ready to use. Also, check the type of extinguisher you have as not all are useful for every type of fire.
Second, protect yourself and valuable items. Fire safes are a great way to protect irreplaceable items such as important documents, family heirlooms and memorabilia such as photos. Have a plan to escape in case the fire is to large to control with your extinguisher. Many fire experts agree that in some cases you have as little as 2 minutes to escape a home fire before its too late.
Last, have a post disaster plan. In the event the unthinkable were to take place know who to call. Here at SERVPRO San Marcos New Braunfels we have Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) certified professionals ready to respond to your needs at a moments notice and we are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week, even on holidays.
Don't let your holiday plans go up in smoke, take the time to prepare and be aware. Wishing you a safe holiday season from all of us here at SERVPRO San Marcos New Braunfels.
If you do experience a fire or water damage call us any time at (512) 396-8225 or visit our website for more information.
For Immediate Service in San Marcos/New Braunfels Area, call SERVPRO
We provide immediate service, day or night!
SERVPRO of San Marcos/New Braunfels provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Hays and surrounding counties. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – (830)625-0578
Whether your home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business. Learn more about our commercial services: http://www.SERVPROsanmarcosnewbraunfels.com/commercial-restoration-cleaning
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration