Professional Water Damage Restoration Explained
Professional Water Damage Restoration Explained
Water can inflict the worst kinds of damages on your building. What once was your haven of productivity or comfort can quickly transform into a messy nightmare because of extensive water damage. Learn how to face water in home or water in business emergencies and how professional mitigation and restoration services can be your solution to flood damage in your home or business.
Assessing the Damages and Initial Cleanup
You may not appreciate the full water cleanup process until you are facing a water damage emergency of your own. It is only after you see water in home or water in business crises happen in your own life that you realize how important it can be to contact a restoration company to respond to a supply line break or any kind of pipe break that occurs anywhere in your building.
A professional restoration company can go beyond drying water damage on just the surface of a flooded home or business, however. These flood damage experts come to your location with all of the restoration equipment needed for proper mitigation and water cleanup that your home or workplace might require after a supply line break or pipe break in the bathroom, kitchen, or elsewhere.
It is true that when the restoration company arrives to your flooded home or business that the contractors will focus on drying out the wettest surfaces first. To make it easier for them to work on the water in home or water in business, these professionals will work on drying out fixtures like:
walls and ceilings
Once they address the first level of water cleanup, the contractors will then move on to more in-depth mitigation work that might involve restoring or replacing materials in the building that have been significantly compromised by the water damage.
After the initial water cleanup ends, the next phase of restoration can begin on your home or business. Depending on the severity of the flood damage in the building, the contractors may need to use equipment like dehumidifiers and shop vacuums to continue the drying out process.
It can be vital that you allow the restoration company to work on your flooded home or business. To start, your insurance company may refuse to extend your policy if the damage from the pipe break or supply line break has not been sufficiently handled. Most insurers only want to cover buildings that show no lingering signs of water in home or water in business damages.
Second, customers who are aware that your business suffered a pipe break may be reluctant to do business in a building still reeling from the aftermath of a supply line break. Flood damage makes itself known in more ways than one even after the mitigation process has already begun.
Even with the visible signs of water taken care of, your building may still have a mildew or mold smell that hits people right when they walk in the door. If you want to draw anyone to your building long after the water in the flooded home or business has been pumped out and dried, you must allow the restoration service to finish the entirety of its work.
You can get your home or business properly restored and be able to move on with your life fast when you retain the services of a professional mitigation and restoration service. Professional contractors who are trained to deal with water damages of all types know what kinds of efforts it will take to make your building whole and comfortable once again. You get the peace of mind in knowing that your home or workplace is safe from risks like lingering odors from dampness and fungal growth. Professional restoration companies are typically on hand 24/7 to respond to your call for help with water damages.
Visit http://www.SERVPROsanmarcosnewbraunfels.com for more information on water damage.
How a Fire Restoration Company Will Help You Restore Your Home After a Fire
How a Fire Restoration Company Will Help You Restore Your Home After a Fire
There are many causes of fires, and they can strike without warning. Electrical fires and utility room fires are two common causes of fires. Fire damage occurs after almost any fire, and includes soot damage and smoke damage. In addition, water from the fire sprinkler system or the fire suppression system can flood your home. If the firefighters come, your home may get flooded by the fire hose that is attached to the fire truck. Flooding from the fire sprinkler system, fire suppression system, firefighters, fire truck, and fire hose is one of the most common forms of residential fire damage and commercial fire damage.
Your first step is making an emergency call to a fire restoration company. Most fire restoration companies will come pretty quickly. The first thing they will do is walk through your home and assess the extent of the fire damage or commercial fire damage. They will look at the extent of the soot damage and smoke damage. They will likely take into account the source of the fire and whether it was caused by an electrical fire or a utility room fire. They will also look for water damage caused by the fire sprinkler system, fire suppression system, or the fire truck and fire hose that the firefighters used to put out the fire. Once they have assessed the extent of the fire damage, they will create a plan of action. This plan is necessary for restoring your home so that it gets back to normal.
The next step is tarping and sealing. Commercial fire damage, whether it is caused by an electrical fire or a utility room fire, usually causes holes in the walls and ceiling of the building. These can let in water when it rains and cause even more water damage, besides the damage caused by the fire sprinkler system, the fire suppression system, or the fire hose and fire truck used by the firefighters. These openings need to be sealed off with tarps.
Next, they will start cleaning up your home. If there is water, they will use special pumps to pump out the water from your home. Besides water, there will likely be plenty of soot damage and smoke damage. This causes your walls and furniture to be blackened. It ruins the look of your home and gives your home an unpleasant smell. Smoke and soot are hard to remove, and they can get caught in the HVAC system. A professional fire restoration company will be able to clean up all the soot and remove the smell of smoke using special equipment. They may have to clean some carpets, rugs, and couches that have absorbed the smell of smoke. Some furniture items and carpets may have to be thrown out. Fortunately, a fire restoration company will do this for you.
The next step is a crucial part of the restoration process. The fire restoration company will start restoring your home to the way it was before the fire damage occurred. This means that if there is structural damage, they will fix it so your home is safe to live in again. If there are furniture or other items that can not be repaired, they will replace them. A good fire restoration company will often make your home or building look even better than the way it did before the commercial fire damage, soot damage, or smoke damage occurred. They may install new rugs. They might replace several panels or tiles in your walls, ceiling, and floor. They might repaint your home.
The restoration company will let you know when your home is safe to live in again. In addition, they will provide you with tips that will help you prevent future fire damage from occurring. If the cause of the fire was an electrical fire or a utility room fire, they will let you know how to prevent that from happening again.
Visit http://www.SERVPROsanmarcosnewbraunfels.com for more information on fire damage.
Tips to Help you With the Storm Damage Restoration Process
Tips to Help you With the Storm Damage Restoration Process
Property damage by catastrophic and relentless weather like hurricanes, lightning strikes and thunderstorms, tornadoes, high winds, hail storms, flooding, and freezing conditions can be disastrous on homes and business premises. Making flooding and storm damage repairs or storm remediation can be a tasking endeavor. Even though the authorities give warning when severe weather is on the horizon, it may not be possible to prevent river flooding, ice dam and other flood water related destruction of buildings.
After the river flooding or creation of an ice dam contact your insurance company and let them be aware so they can start using flood pumps for water cleanup. It is critical to take photos of the flood water, or ice dam in the interior and exterior of the damaged property once it is safe to approach the building. It will provide proof for compensation from the insurance company. Get in touch with the federal disaster assistance that will help you know how to go about home restoration after the roof damage to the property affected by river flooding. The federal government facilitates for people to get low-interest loans to help with home restoration after ice dam and flooding damage.
For the home restoration of property destroyed by ice damming, river flooding or ground water, it’s recommended to get in touch with service providers who know how to handle storm remediation. They will help with roof damage to the use of flood pumps to remove water damage or flood water. When the reconstruction experts are contacted in time, they can prevent further ice damming damage from befalling the structures. The flood water and ice damming water removal and water restoration professionals will begin by deploying a ground water and water restoration team that is equipped to help you in whichever ice damming, roof damage or other issue that may have struck your property.
Examination before storm restoration and storm remediation.
The storm restoration company will come to your premises and, together with their trained storm remediation specialists, examine the interior and exterior of the building. The evaluation will help them assess the extent of the wind damage, the extent of roof leak or roof damage and how much damage the ground water may have done, especially frozen pipes. While examining the property, they will proceed to discuss with you its rehabilitation to get your insight on how to the final structure should look. Investigation of the premises will also reveal if the area with a roof leak or ground water damage is stable enough for storm restoration and water restoration using a flood pump to be done.
Storm restoration after hurricane damage
After you strike an agreement with the hurricane damage experts, work on the building officially begins. The roof leak will be among the first things to be constructed, and this is to provide a covering over the structure with a roof leak and prevent further storm damage or hurricane damage to its interior. Any appliance, fixture or furniture not affected by the hurricane damage will be kept aside in a safe environment, away from the wrecked property.
You should provide the hail damage reconstruction company with a list of things that are important to you. The hail damage or ice damage repair professionals will decide on the type of equipment to use depending on the kind of roof repair needed and also the degree of devastation caused by the ice damage or storm. If flooding is what occurred, specially designed dehumidifiers and vacuums will be used to remove the water. Generators may be used to operate the flood pumps, hail damage and ice damage equipment. The dehumidifiers will prevent mold and mildew from growing and worsening the situation after hail damage or ice damage.
Cleaning and roof repair after storm damage
Wind damage and storm damage is difficult to deal with, especially when roof repair is needed, but when you enlist the help of professionals, it becomes easy. In the event of wind damage and frozen pipes, ensure that you are safe through seeking shelter and alerting the authorities. You can always join the roof repair and reconstruction team to know what to do if the frozen pipes calamity strikes again. Also, take heed of warnings given by the federal government and make preparations to deal with the home restoration or water restoration, to lessen the wind damage, and frozen pipes once it hits.
Visit http://www.SERVPROsanmarcosnewbraunfels.com for more information on storm damage.
From Carpets To Catastrophes
What SERVPRO Franchise Professionals Can Do For You!
Fire, Smoke and Soot Cleanup and Restoration
Pretesting helps us determine what type of fire has taken place. Knowing the different types of smoke and their behavior patterns are vital to proper restoration.
Water Removal and Dehumidification
SERVPRO Professionals identify the source and type of water, which determines the proper course of action. Drying equipment controls temperature and humidity, minimizing secondary damage.
Crime Scene, Biohazard and Vandalism Cleanup
Franchise Technicians are trained to safely and effectively clean biohazardous substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA and state and local health regulations.
Mold Mitigation and Remediation
SERVPRO Franchise Professionals work to control and remediate mold contaminants while protecting your health and safety.
Contents Claim Inventory Service
Accurate inventory helps keep costs low and reduces job completion time. Franchise Professionals can provide an itemized, area-by-area loss inventory.
Air Duct and HVAC Cleaning
Franchise Professionals can inspect your HVAC system and ductwork. Cleaning services can be provided to help restore peak energy efficiency, eliminate offensive odors and improve indoor air quality.
Carpet and Hard Floor Cleaning and Care
Franchise Professionals use the latest IICRC** training as well as state-of-the-art equipment to remove entrapped soils from deep within your carpet's pile and backings.
Stain Removal, Stain Resistance Applications
Using IICRC standards for carpet as a guide, Franchise Professionals will show you what cleaning option would be best for your carpet's level of soiling and explain the benefits of soil protection.
Odor Identification and Deodorization
Franchise Professionals will find the source of the odor and determine the best methods to neutralize and eliminate it.
Upholstery and Drapes: Wet or Dry Cleaning Methods
Fabrics are inspected and tested to determine the safest and most effective cleaning method.
Time Is A Precious Commodity
When you need it done right and done fast, call your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional for all your commercial and residential cleaning needs. Did you know when you hire SERVPRO Franchise Professionals for maintenance cleaning, you get around-the-clock restoration services built with you in mind? Quality cleaning and quick response - that's the SERVPRO way.
Can't figure out how to get the job done? Call your local Franchise Professional for all your emergency restoration needs. Because when you experience a fire, water or mold damage in your facility or home, you need fast response and the expertise to get the job done right, ensuring your business or home can get back into operation as quickly as possible. Through it all, you expect the most reliable information and the very best service at a fair price.
SERVPRO Franchise Professionals are committed to providing fire and water cleanup and restoration services to reduce business and home interruptions and recovery costs. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals can provide:
- Over 45 years of experience as a leading fire and water cleanup and restoration provider.
- A SERVPRO Franchise is nearby - more than 1,700 Franchises nationwide.
- More locations for faster responses. A uniformed technician will arrive on-site usually within four hours of notification.
- Quick response time to help ensure the damage is contained and the restoration process begins promptly.
- Large loss capabilities - no fire or water damage is too big.
** Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification
All information gathered from SERVPRO Corporate
When The Severe Storm Rolls Out... We Roll In.
A thunderstorm is a rain shower during which you hear thunder. Since thunder comes from lightening, all thunderstorms have lightening.
A thunderstorm is classified as "severe" when it contains one or more of the following:
- Hail (one inch or greater)
- Winds in excess of 58 mph
- Structural wind damage
Before The Storm
- To begin preparing, you should build an emergency supply kit and make a family communication plan.
- Postpone outdoor activities
- Remember the 30/30 Lightening Safety Rule: Go indoors if, after seeing lightening, you cannot count to 30 before hearing thunder. Stay indoors for 30 minutes after hearing the last clap of thunder.
- Get inside a home, building, or hard top automobile.
- Remember, rubber-soled shoes and rubber tires provide NO protection from lightening. However the steel frame of a hard-topped vehicle provides increased protection if you are not touching metal.
- Shutter windows and secure outside doors. If shutters are not available, close window blinds, shades or curtains.
- Unplug any electronic equipment well before the storm arrives.
During The Storm
- Use your battery-operated NOAA Weather Radio updates from local officials.
- Stay away from windows and doors, and stay off porches.
- Do not lie on concrete floors and do not lean against concrete walls.
- Avoid hilltops, open fields, the beach or a boat on the water.
- Take shelter in a sturdy building.
- Avoid contact with anything metal- tractors, farm equipment, motorcycles, golf carts, golf clubs, and bicycles.
- If you are driving, try to safely exit the roadway and park. Stay in the vehicle and turn on the emergency flashers until the heavy rain ends. Avoid touching metal or other surfaces that conduct electricity in and outside the vehicle.
After The Storm
- Never drive through a flooded roadway.
- Stay away from storm-damage areas to keep from putting yourself at risk from the effects of severe thunderstorms.
- Continue to listen to a NOAA Weather Radio or to local radio and television stations for updated information or instructions, as access to roads or some parts of the community may be blocked.
- Stay away from downed power lines and report them immediately
- If you have storm damage to your home or property, call your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional. Timely mitigation is key to minimize secondary damages caused by severe storms.
Unexpected emergencies like severe weather call for immediate action. Your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional knows immediate reaction to the disaster is important to helping you get your life back to normal.
Utilizing our 1-4-8 Service Response Guidelines*, your SERVPRO Franchise Professional strives to:
- Contact you within 1 hour from notice of loss to arrange for service.
- Be on-site to begin mitigation services within 4 hours of notification.
- Provide verbal briefing of scope to you within 8 business hours of on-site arrival.
Your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional can also preform pack-out services, which is removing salvageable personal property from the affected are for off-site cleaning and storage.
*Exceptions may apply under certain conditions, such as alocal catastrophic event or storm situation.
SERVPRO Of San Marcos/New Braunfels
*All information gathered from SERVPRO Corporate*
Containing Mold Spores During Remediation
This containment shows proper negative air pressure which prevents air and particles (spores) from passing through.
Part of being licensed in mold remediation requires that we are able to prevent the spread of mold spores to unaffected areas while the remediation is in progress. Regardless if it is a commercial or residential job we set up containment and use a negative air machine to prevent the spores from escaping the work area. By drawing a negative pressure in the work area, using the proper containment supplies and practices we are effectively able to prevent mold spores from escaping the area of concern.
If you experience a mold problem in you home or business call SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels and let licensed professionals keep you, your family and your friends safe from the possible negative health effects of mold exposure (512)396-8225 or visit our WEBSITE for more information
Fire Damage Pack Outs
Home contents being stored in our large secure warehouse after being cleaned and deodorized. Soon to be returned to the owner.
SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels offers pack out services for fire damages. If the damage to your home or business is rather extensive we usually recommend a pack out. This allows us to remove all the contents from the building by safely packing them in boxes using wrapping paper and bubble wrap for protection. This frees up the working space and helps prevent any further damage to your possessions. Typically we will bring the contents back to our large secure warehouse where the contents can be cleaned, deodorized in our ozone chamber and repackaged in clean boxes and packing material to await return after the fire restoration/rebuild is complete.
If you experience a fire damage in your home or business call the professionals at SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels at (512)396-8225 or visit our website for more info.
Preparing for Winter Storms
Don't Let Winter Storms Ruin Your Day
Severe winter weather can occasionally cause havoc in many parts of Central Texas. Unlike our friends to the north we usually experience mild winters with temperatures rarely dipping low enough to cause major problems. This is both a blessing and a curse. On the bright side most of us are able to enjoy moderate temperatures for the majority of winter, the down side of this is when strong winter storms hit we are by no means prepared for them. Aside from our bodies being used to warmer weather most of our homes, vehicles and emergency personnel are also equipped for warmer temperatures. Let’s take a few minutes to talk about preparing for winter weather, and what do to in the event of a strong winter storm.
Items You May Need
- Extra Batteries- Be sure to have backup batteries for all essential devices.
- A Reliable Telephone- Preferably one that can still function if the power goes out. Cordless phones will not work if power goes out, cell phones may or may not work, and the best bet is an old style phone which has the cord connecting the handset to the phone base. In the event you lose power the phone lines may still be intact and these style phones will continue to work.
- Battery-powered NOAA and/or AM/FM Radio. In the event of power failure these battery powered radios may be your only way to access information on the weather and emergency broadcasts.
- Water- Be sure to have enough water to last at least 3 days. Recommended amounts are 1 gallon per person per day. In emergency situations don’t forget your water heater will typically remain full of water, this water can be used in survival situations.
- Food- Be sure to have enough food on hand. The best are high energy nonperishable foods that don’t need to be cooked or refrigerated such as nuts, dried fruits, cereal, and granola.
- Money- Remember in a severe storm you may lose power, be sure to have some extra cash stored because without power you cannot use your card at the store or ATM, also stores may not accept checks as they regularly require electronic processing through the stores point of sale system.
- Medication, First-Aid and Baby Supplies- Being it could be days before you can drive be sure you have the needed medical supplies.
- Emergency Heat- Unlike in the north, many Texans do not use a fueled furnace so if you lose power, you lose your main source of heat. Keep a stock of dried wood if you have a fire place or wood stove. Kerosene heaters are also a good alternative. Just be sure you know how to safely operate your emergency heaters.
- Emergency Gas Powered Generators- Another option is using a gas powered generator to run your necessary appliances in the event of power outage during a winter storm. Just be sure to keep up with the maintenance and have plenty of fuel so when the time comes you need to use it, the generator functions properly. Also know the load it is capable of handling. Some may only be able to run your heater and fridge while some are capable of powering an entire home.
Winterizing Your Vehicle
It’s a good idea to check your battery, ignition system, thermostat, lights, flashers, exhaust, heater, brakes, defroster, tires, antifreeze, windshield washer fluid, and oil regularly to keep you from becoming stranded and ensure safety. It’s also a good idea to add these items to your vehicle if expecting a winter storm.
- Blankets or Sleeping bag
- Flashlight and Extra Batteries
- First Aid Kit
- Extra Dry Cloths
- Windshield Scraper
- Tow Rope
- Booster Cables
In our next blog we will discuss steps for winterizing your San Marcos / New Braunfels area home to prevent water damage and save energy this winter. In the event you do experience a water damage in your home call us today because the longer your home stays wet the more extensive the damage can become. Call SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels (512)396-8225
The Right Tools for Any Size Water Damage in New Braunfels or San Marcos
SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels has not only the right tools but also the needed knowledge of numerous professionals certified by The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). These certifications teach the highest of standards in cleaning and restoration processes, and also give instruction on how to best use our state of the art detection and drying equipment.
Water Restoration is a Science
Sure anyone can set up some fans and maybe even borrow a dehumidifier from a friend and have their water damage dried in a week or two. Unfortunately most people who try this don’t know that mold can start growing in as little as 24 hours if not treated properly and can begin to colonize in as little 1-12 days after initial growth causing much more extensive damage. Here at SERVPRO we take pride in our ability to quickly and efficiently dry any structure. We are part of a system of over 1700 independently owned and operated franchises that work together, this means there is no job too big or too small. Whether it’s a small leak under your kitchen sink, a flood event or even a multi-story industrial building with a large affected area.
Commercial Grade Water Removal Equipment
- Water (Sump) Pumps- Used for removing large amounts of standing water
- Truck Mounted and Portable Extractors- Used for removing smaller amounts water from floors mainly carpet but very useful on hard floors as well when pooling is present.
- Dehumidifiers- Used to lower Relative Humidity in a structure and promote evaporation from porous materials such as wood and drywall.
- Air Movers/Fans- Increase the velocity of air moving over surfaces of saturated areas speeding the rate of evaporation.
- Cavity Drying Equipment- directs airflow into hard to dry wall cavities to promote drying in hard to reach areas.
- Floor Drying Equipment- Specialized mats and air pumps witch greatly increase the chance to save wet but not ruined floors.
The above list is a representation of most commonly used equipment for informative purposes and is not all inclusive of every item needed to perform a water restoration. There is a lot more that goes into each project such as tools for demolition and sanitation. If you experience a water damage leave it to the professionals at SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels and allow yourself peace of mind that you are in good hands.
For more information call us today at (512)396-8225 or visit our WEBSITE.
What You Need to Know About Biohazard and Sewage Contamination Cleanup
Here at SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels we are always ready to respond at a moments notice when you need us and come prepared with the proper training, supplies and cutting edge equipment to get the job done right the first time.
Biohazard Cleanup Services include:
- Sewage backups
- Crime scene residues
- Suicide/death accidents
- Homicide cleanups
- Blood cleanup
- Accident cleanup
- Hoarding scenes
- Animal waste/remains
- Chemical spills
- Tear gas cleanup
- Meth lab cleanup
If you have a need that is not listed above call us at (512)396-8225 and was can have a representative investigate your issue to determine if we can help.
Do's and Don'ts With the Presence of Biohazardous material:
- Avoid the contaminated area if possible.
- Assume all bodily fluids are contaminated.
- If the situation is life threatening call emergency personnel.
- If possible turn off appliances such as HVAC.
- Wear protective equipment if working in the structure
- Call professionals.
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
- Don't try to clean up yourself.
- Don't remove contents from the affected area to non contaminated areas.
If you discover the presence of a biohazardous contaminate in you home of place of work call the professionals at SERVPRO San Marcos/New Braunfels at (512)396-8225