If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (830) 625-0578

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Preventing Mold in a Restaurant Kitchen

8/28/2020 (Permalink)

Mold growth in your San Marcos restaurant can be bad for business.

Fortunately, a little preventive maintenance can go a long way toward keeping your commercial kitchen clean and mold-free. 

Mold Requirements 
Although mold spores are almost everywhere, there are specific conditions that must be met before the spores can develop into an infestation. Mold needs the following three things in order to grow: 

  • Food
  • Water
  • Warmth 

Kitchens, especially commercial kitchens, have all of these properties. Ovens and other appliances keep the area warm. Dishwashing and cooking steam lead to high humidity, providing mold with a source of moisture. Food is always abundant, whether in storage or in the trash. Because of this, a mold infestation may seem inevitable, but this is not necessarily the case.

Mold Prevention 
Even in kitchens where mold has everything it needs to thrive, it is possible to prevent mold growth. First, ensure adequate ventilation so that moisture is properly removed from the area. Make sure the HVAC system is properly maintained, and invest in a quality kitchen hood to remove excess moisture. Throw away expired food and any food with signs of mold. Take out the trash regularly. Make sure the kitchen is routinely cleaned and that all standing water, whether from leaks or spills, is cleaned up as soon as possible. Address sources of water damage promptly. Although keeping the kitchen clean and dry will go a long way toward preventing mold damage, it may be impossible to keep the area completely mold free. Therefore, it is a good idea to routinely check for signs of mold. Examine food products and areas that are especially prone to excess moisture. If caught early, the fungus can be removed before major damage occurs.

Unfortunately, even the most conscientious restaurant owner can suffer mold growth. Fortunately, an experienced restoration company can help you remediate the damage quickly and safely.

Other News

View Recent Posts