Preparing Your Business for Flood Damage
Flooding often occurs quickly and unexpectedly in San Marcos, TX. It can devastate everything in its path from single family residences to commercial buildings. Advanced planning can help prepare for this catastrophic event and minimize the effects on your business.
Preparing the physical premises in advance of flooding can reduce damage and contribute to getting daily operations back to normal faster, once the flood waters recede. Identify whether your building is in a flood zone and take the presence of black water into consideration when creating your plan.
1. Check your insurance policies to confirm that you have coverage for floods, lost revenue and/or business interruption. Add-ons may be recommended.
2. Install flood shields around the doors, windows and ventilation shafts.
3. Have flood-related systems in place for use during the emergency. This can include installing portable pumps flood water removal and adding generators as well as battery-powered emergency lighting for use as alternate power sources.
Preparing the business adequately in the event of an emergency can be as important as taking steps to prepare the building in which it’s located. Data, contacts and employees can be kept safe and modified daily operations may continue even if the building is inaccessible.
1. Backup data to physical drives or the cloud for off-site accessibility.
2. Research and designate a location or multiple locations for business-critical operations. This can include employee homes, temporary office space or a local coffee shop.
3. Prepare and disseminate a company evacuation plan for orderly withdrawal from the premises. Designate a common muster location or process to ensure everyone gets out of the building safely.
Flooding can occur in San Marcos, TX, due to acts of nature or infrastructure failures, such as dams breaking or sewer backups. Water restoration specialists can help you put a plan in place that can help you prepare for flood damage as well as the ensuing cleanup.